An inviting dining room makes your guests feel welcome.
For a while, many people weren’t interested in a formal dining room and even converted their dining rooms into libraries, billiard rooms or offices. Today the dining room is back! Many homeowners want to create a beautiful setting for dining with their family and friends.
A dining room’s function is key, of course, but the dining room is about so much more than just eating a meal. It’s about the experience and the ambiance people feel when they dine in your home.
Your table is the anchor of your room, and the chairs are key. These are long-term investments that you’ll have forever, if you purchase high quality. And don’t forget a sideboard or china cabinet to store dishes, silverware and linens close at hand.
Here are some tips to optimize your dining room:
- Think about whether you need a table with leaves, if you plan to entertain a crowd.
- Make sure the chairs are comfortable and the right height for the table.
- Use mirrors to make the room seem larger.
- Change the look of your table with linens and table settings, and the look of your chairs with slipcovers.
- Add interest to your walls with wallpaper, an accent painted wall or wainscoting.
- Plan for beautiful lighting, including a chandelier, and even wall sconces or buffet lamps.
- Add window coverings that provide both beauty and function, especially when the late afternoon sun is streaming in.
- And, of course, decorate your dining room for the holidays for added cheer.
Looking for more design ideas? Draperies can create some serious drama – and in a good way! Picking out the perfect window draperies begins at the fabric store. We’ve partnered with premium fabric wholesalers to give you endless possibilities when it comes to dressing your windows with the specific style you are after. Click to view a small sampling of Allure’s Draperies.