Mixing and matching prints and patterns is a beautiful interior design strategy.
Today’s home decorating prints are not the old fashioned patterns that might first come to mind. Options include stripes, geometrics, florals, animal prints, abstract shapes and more – all updated to today’s color palettes and decorating styles.
Prints can be bold and colorful or oh-so-subtle and neutral. It all depends on what you like and what looks good in your home!
Decorating elements that are perfect for prints include:
- Furniture and upholstery fabrics
- Window coverings
- Rugs and flooring
- Wall coverings
- Pillows and bedding
- Tile and backsplashes
- Even painted patterns on wood furniture and walls
To mix and match patterns follow these simple guidelines:
- Start with one print that has a relatively large pattern, and use it for more than half of your printed materials in a room.
- Then as you mix patterns with additional home elements, use smaller scales and some of the same colors. This will ensure a harmonious look, rather than a sense of chaos.
- Balance prints with solid color design elements in the same color range to settle your look.
As with all design decisions, try to bring samples home before you make your selections. Sometimes colors and patterns look different at home than in a showroom!
If you’re nervous about adding prints to your home décor, experiment just a little with decorative throws, pillows, bedding and table linens.
Looking for more design ideas? Luminette Modern Draperies create a tastefully tailored backdrop for any room. It will meet both your decorating and practical needs. Click to view a small sampling of Allure’s Luminette Modern Draperies.